Tuesday, April 7, 2009

More or less

My kids are obsessed with the new Playhouse Disney character, Special Agent Oso. When I got back from the endocrinologist today, I got no hi from Middle Child. No, I got a lot of whining about eating more snacks and watching Special Agent Oso.

Being the pushover I am I let him watch 3 episodes. I have not sat down to watch a whole episode but in hearing the show in the background I have learned a few things. First of all, saying the phrase more or less at the end of just about anything is funny.

It's all part of the plan, more or less.
Nice plan, more or less.
He can't come to the phone right now, he's in the bathtub, more or less.
I'm making lunch, more or less.
See, that's funny!


Believe it or not, I have learned a lot from this character. More or less. One formulaic part of the show is that there are 3 steps. Parker asked me why there are 3 steps. I told him that all problems can be solved in 3 steps, at least on this show! So I have decided to put that theory to the test. More or less.


I am very frustrated with my diabetes control. I told this to the doctor today. I told him that I was perfect for 2 pregnancies. The third one my blood sugars were up and down and not very consistent. But they are still up and down. I told him the erratic swings in blood sugars makes me have headaches. I just want to go back to normal! He was understanding. I like this doctor.
I could get really discouraged about things or I can look on the bright side of life. My A1c test result was 6.8. That's good. I'll just forget about the fact that my blood sugars are rarely in range so the 6.8 is a result of being low more often than high.
Here are my 3 steps to solve my problem. More or less!

  1. Keep doing what I'm doing. Count carbs and bolus accordingly. Keep checking my blood sugar often. Exercise. My blood sugars seem slightly more predictable when I exercise.
  2. Believe in myself. I am a big believer in mind over matter. Quite often if I believe it, it comes true. So if I believe I can manage my blood sugars better I will. I have done it before. Maybe I have let too many doubts in.
  3. Pray. I have a daily thought book that my Grandma and Mom made for me a long time ago. Today's thought is: I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. ~ Abraham Lincoln

When my home teachers came to visit a couple weeks ago one of them said that he was talking to his wife about new responsibilities he had at work. He was concerned about doing a good job and some responsibilities were very challenging to him. She asked if he had prayed about it. He then wondered why the thought had never occured to him before to pray about this concern of his.

Today I thought a lot about how I dealt with my type 1 diabetes while I was pregnant. I prayed constantly for help in managing my diabetes then. I did my best and left the rest up to the Lord. I am so glad I will never be pregnant again because I don't think I can emotionally live through another pregnancy. I learned more and more about the risks involved each time I was pregnant. Just today as I was waiting to see my doctor I flipped through a magazine all about thyroid issues. I had no idea hypothyroidism could potentially cause problems for an unborn baby! Good heavens! It's amazing my kids are normal. More or less.

I will always be grateful for my miracle babies. But now that they are here I would like to stay alive long enough to watch them grow up. So hopefully my 3 steps will help accomplish that goal. More or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that I've shared my thoughts, what are your thoughts?