Monday, August 10, 2009

Harvesting Evil

Last year we planted a garden. That's about as much effort as we put into it too. The automatic sprinklers took care of watering. The gardeners (part of our rent pays for them) would weed for us. We ended up with a decent crop.


The tomatoes were uncontainable. Hubby used 3 or 4 different cages to keep the tomatoes from taking over everything. They busted the cages and continued to grow! At the end of the season we ripped everything out except our chive plant.


This year we procrastinated too long and never planted anything. We thought it was weird that the gardeners weren't pulling all the weeds though. After a few weeks we realized it wasn't a weed but a tomato plant!

With zero effort on our part this is our garden.
At first we laughed. Without sowing we were reaping. The plant continued to grow. And grow. And grow. I'm getting nervous now. I was fine with the tomato plant spontaneously growing against the fence.

But somehow it jumped a couple of feet and is now growing next to the chives. Actually, it's choking them to death.


I have this sneaking suspicion that I need to rent "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to do some research. Why were the tomatoes attacking? How did they do it? Am I a target and I don't know it? Perhaps the answers are found in the movie.

I'm also concerned about the fact that tomatoes aren't a favorite food in our house. Little Miss and I are the only ones who will eat raw tomatoes. The last time tomatoes reared their ugly heads I learned that tomatoes belong to the dreaded nightshade family.

Something is going on. I know it's just a tomato plant but it is still ALIVE! Little Shop of Horrors? I can't help but think my garden is harvesting evil!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that I've shared my thoughts, what are your thoughts?