Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Evils of Modern Literature

I cannot stop rolling my eyes. I was looking through a book order online. Too much political indoctrination!

Too many books with a description along the lines of some talking animal who doesn’t want to look like the other animals in its species. The book is the story of the animal’s quest to be different. Oh please! Really?

There was a book that claimed a lighthearted and humorous story about a serious problem – snoring and sleep apnea. Ok, I’m not saying that those sleeping disorders are not serious but come on! Kids need a stinking book to teach them of such a “serious issue” in a humorous manner? I could see kids completely missing the point and only getting that Dad’s loud snoring is funny.

How to make friends, the talking animal that is always in trouble, and don’t get me started on all the Phonics packages that come with WORKBOOKS!!! Whatever happened to the classic stories? Why does everything have to overtly teach and preach until we gag?

One of my favorite movies is Bedtime Stories with Adam Sandler and Courtney Cox. Courtney Cox is so extreme in the way she is raising her children. Her kids’ books were about talking animals getting bike helmets and other political garbage not necessary in children’s literature. I love that Adam Sandler starts telling stories and the kids learn to use their imaginations instead of having social rules crammed down their throats.

I believe that kids will develop a love of reading if the story is interesting and creative. When you make a child read about some talking animal depressed by social problems and then make them answer questions about it in a workbook, you are slaying the magic of literature!

In the last book order I bought “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.” I thought we may see the movie until I heard it was pretty lame. But the book is great. It’s funny, creative, and interesting to children. My kids’ eyes were wide as their little minds were churning and imagining a make believe land where food fell out of the sky. I could be wrong but I don’t think there was any hidden agenda in that story convincing the masses of the communistic nature of grocery stores. It was just a story!

I think if people want to reproduce they need to be a parent to their offspring. Too many parents want it all. They want the spouse, children, successful career, vacations around the world, and the white picket fence in front of the house they pay the nanny and housekeeper to live in. Not to mention time for themselves. They expect the schools to teach values and morals. They expect their places of worship to be the sole provider of faith and spirituality. These misguided parents can’t even take the time to see a movie with their child or crack a book without expecting it to teach some “moral” lesson. They believe that it takes a village to raise a child. It doesn’t. It takes parents.

Have you sat down and had a real conversation with your child today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that I've shared my thoughts, what are your thoughts?